On April 12, 1873, an act of the 13th Legislature of the State of Texas created Gregg County. The new county was carved out of a portion of the existing Upshur County. The Honorable B. W. Brown, representative from Upshur County, was active in urging the passing of the act and in naming the county Gregg after General John B. Gregg, under whom he and others living in the new county served in the Confederate Army.
The act was presented to Texas Governor Edmund J. Davis for his approval on May 1, 1873, but the act was neither signed by him nor returned to the Texas House of Representatives during the time prescribed by the Constitution of the State of Texas and, therefore, became a law without Governor Davis' signature.
Commissioners were appointed, land surveys conducted, and the county elections commenced on June 25, 1873, and continued for four days. The following county officials were elected: R. B. Levy, District and County Clerk; M. S. Durham, Sheriff; Britton Buttrell, Treasurer; A. S. Taylor, Surveyor; T. D. Campbell, Peace Justice, Precinct 2; John W. Lawrence, Peace Justice, Precinct 4; and W. P. Victory, Peace Justice, Precinct 5. Longview was chosen as the county seat over the other nominee, Awalt, by a vote of 524 to 125.
On April 30, 1874, an act of the 14th Legislature of Texas approved extending the area of Gregg County southward to take in a part of Rusk County. Gregg County's boundaries as we know them today were finally established.